Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Nirvana - not just a band

I always seem to head out to my yoga class feeling excited really good about myself. I've shed some pounds, have a few cute new workout outfits and can now do every one of the 26 poses without modifying anything. I'm almost ready to move out of the back row - almost.

As I've mentioned before, looking at yourself in the mirror is a huge part of the meditative side of the practice. Noticing how you feel at different times is also important and it's not always pleasant. I was troubled when I realized just how deflated I feel when I look in the mirror. I FEEL like I look like all the other girls in the class and there I am, faced with the big fat truth.

I made a decision right then that there was never going to be any negative self-talk in that room again.


I pay $16 a class to be there. The place is built on positivity. It makes me feel amazing. I'm better at it than some of the skinniest girls in there. I deserve it.

I know it's human nature to compare but I owe it to myself to let that kind of thinking go and not allowing it at the yoga studio is a good start. I will do my best to dig deep and focus on the progress I have made and not how far I have to go - especially when the journey feels so long. Maybe it will help to change what I see looking back at me.

8 comments:

  1. You deserve to be treated like the Queen that you are - even by yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your yoga inspires me. I'm going to a class tomorrow morning - my 4th class ever, and the first one in Texas. I do get the positive body feeling after it - worth every penny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do this with each new swim suit or picture.... and then all the subtle and not s subtle changes and accomplishments start to become visually more noticeable to me. The positive talk is there you just have to keep exercising that part too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're one of the most positive and optimistic people I know girl...always looking at the bright side. I'm glad you're choosing to see the good stuff in the mirror now, too. That's the way it should be. And yes, you DO deserve it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! A wonderful reminder to all of us to appreciate our accomplishments whatever they are and to focus on those things instead of what others are doing better or how far we still have to go. I am so impressed that you can do all 26 positions, that's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think doing yoga is a great thing, something I ought to look into to regain some of the flexibility I've allowed myself to lose over time. As far as your reflection, it's getting, and I'm sure will continue to get better even in your eyes. We're always our own harshest critics. So, all that chatter is just my way of saying, "Way to go!" Way to go for showing up, way to go for pressing on, way to go for realizing your self awareness needs to catch up to your personal changes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found you and honestly, reading your blog has inspired me to start my own. I hope to get into yoga someday and maybe now it will be sooner rather than later. Thank you for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete