Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Accountability

Now that my self proclaimed "year of discovery" has come to an end and the "putting it all into action" year has started, I think I've finally narrowed it to what really works for me. That thing is accountability.

I've got that more than covered in the exercise department with my trainer, my yoga instructor who both make me look forward to seeing them AND getting a great workout. I'm still finding it challenging to fit in as much cardio as I need to.

Food wise, I'm back to basics and back to Weight Watchers. I find that having that meeting in the back of my mind keeps me honest all week and damn I love that sticker! I was laughing about the sticker thing with my trainer and she said "girls just like stickers". I'm already spending a small fortune on my adventures in fitness.

Now that I finally get all settled in my new routine, there's a HUGE wrench thrown in. I'm starting a 4 week consulting job. Onsite at the client. Back out in the burbs. For anyone reading who doesn't know, I worked in the suburbs of Atlanta (I live in the city) for 7 years. 50 miles a day round trip. 1 hour each way on a good day, 2 on a bad one. It almost killed me until I started working for myself and was finally able to establish a workout routine.

I'm so excited about this job and I know I will do what it takes to fit it all in. I'm just a little nervous about eating right and exercising while commuting again. Oh and did I mention I'll be up at 5am? I will use my mad planning and organization skillz to make sure I have all my food and workout gear. I'm really hoping they have a kick-ass gym I can use. It's a pretty fancy building and I'll have my badge so fingers crossed. It would be so much easier to workout before sitting in traffic for an hour. The ONLY good thing about the burbs is I can finally use my Costco membership!

So here's to accountability and constant change. I guess that makes my blog slightly more interesting!

12 comments:

  1. I just found your blog, and I must say you are awesome! I look forward to reading more from you! I'm sure you'll fit everything... that's always hard for me too, I always try to find the excuse not to work out... I'm really trying to work on that. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like you need to come up with a weekend prep thing so you always have easy to grab healthy food to eat throughout the rest of the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Accountability is the ONLY thing that works for me. When I ignore the scale, I find myself making some suspect choices with that whole idea that it's okay because nobody is watching. When I weigh in every week (and post it on my blog), it makes every food choice come under a microscope. I also do better when I'm working out regularly, because I tend to do a better job finding that connection between a donut and 90 minutes on an elliptical. Good luck on the consulting gig, but more importantly, finding a way to take care of yourself in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good that you have a routine down. I am sure you will find time to fit it all in. Good luck on your new venture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right ... ! Even worse than the workout is the time it may consume ... I always use it as an excuse ..... !!!! Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can do it! You have a great blog here, anbd if you treat your diet as seriously as you treat your blog topics you'll be great! Tip: pack your meals for the week in advance, itll save time and be easier to stay on track with eating healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes it is about accountability, especially to oneself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You said it, "using your mad skillz." Is that what I read. You will figure it out because you want to. Sounds like prep on the weekend will help, as Eschelle said.

    Accountability...I love Weight Watchers. It seems to get better and better and the accountability and support you get there are beyond helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Tina, I know this is all about accountability, but if you could physically home to my house and drag me to the gym, I'd be most grateful. Love, Your Friend, Me.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete