Thursday, January 5, 2012

Gravity

"No-one ever told me what happens after you turn 40"
I seem to say this a lot in my blog. Why? Because it truly blows. And I'm not even a vain person! Can't see as well, can't lose weight as easily, already waking up soaking wet from night sweats, and boy howdy are body parts headed south.

I have always promised myself no negative self-talk on my yoga mat but when you are surrounded by mirrors on 3 sides and part of the practice is to focus on your eyes in the mirror, it just sometimes happens.

I've done so much damage to myself. 30 years of gaining and losing weight. How much of it can ever be fixed? Will my boobs ever point forward again? How can the skin on the inside of my thigh suddenly be sagging? Will I ever have a belly that doesn't hang below my shirt?

My muscles are taking great shape underneath this sagging outer layer that literally weighs me down. The more fat I lose, the more it sags.

I hugged my yoga instructor before class and I touched her stomach. I've never felt anything like it in my life. It was like touching a rock. I suddenly realize it's something I will never know. It's kind of sad.

This bit of frustration will in no way deter me from my goals. It just means I need to work harder (and maybe start saving some money for plastic surgery)

9 comments:

  1. Things falling down are the one thing I'm really not liking about aging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying again, without the typos. ;)

    You can't go there. Believe me - it's an ugly journey, and it does you no good to do the "coulda woulda shoulda" dance. Just keep moving forward and be the best that you can be, now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Put a mirror on your ceiling and lay down on the bed to look at your body. It looks a lot better (well mine does) when your laying down.

    Seriously though.. stay positive :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No way, don't you go that direction. We both know you have work to do, but can I just say 130 jumps? You're getting better EVERY day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One thing Ive started doing is after every workout I look in the mirror and appreciate my body. (My stomach always looks flatter after working out). Try it! It seems silly at first but it makes me feel good :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi hon.
    I am 47 and just found your blog. It's not easy and I am struggling big time. I keep telling myself that we are smarter and stronger now with "age".. I know I will never give up. Off to read more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your blog tonight. We are two sisters (50 and 44) who are blogging our journey. I agree, life does change after 40 (I can't see a bloody thing either), but there are such good things that come with it too. Focus on all the goodness and how wise you've become.

    Come for a visit - I think you'll see yourself in our life stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read a lot of useful advices on how to keep yourself in good shape as long as possible at militarygradenutritionals.com/blog/. They write a lot about athlete training, diet plans, fitness programs and other important things for everyone who wants to be fit.

    ReplyDelete