Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Helloooooo from the bottom of a rut

Winter has arrived in Atlanta early this year and I'm not happy about it.

I'm trying to figure out why I'm dreading winter so much this year. Is it because I want to sit on the couch and eat mac and cheese? Is it because none of my coats fit me? Is it because I can't even think about getting in the pool? Why did I choose now to try to get up at 5:30am?

I guess I just have a bad attitude again. My husband and I were discussing this on the way to work this morning. We're both unhappy with ourselves physically and it's taking its toll on our happiness as a couple. Luckily we have each other for support. The older we get the harder it gets to even lose 10lbs. Right now I feel we're just going through the motions working eating and sleeping. Living every week just for the weekend ahead. Then the weekends involve nothing but getting ready for the week ahead.

I need to start taking control of both our diets again. Because I'm the meal planner and the grocery shopper it's my responsibility (note: my husband does more than his share) We may think we're eating healthy but our portions are out of control and once again processed foods have become a staple. We haven't had a vegetable for dinner in while either. I'm usually more than organized for a trip to the store but lately I've been forgetting things. My meal planning has been less than halfhearted.

So what's the plan then? I have to have a plan and not just complain. I know if someone gave me $10,000 right now to remodel my kitchen that would help. My cabinets are falling of the walls which is less than inspiring. Since that is not going to happen I just have to get more creative in my meal planning INCLUDING the weekend meals. I find myself not eating a bit all day on the weekend then gorging on dinner and snacks. I can't tell you how much money I spend on healthy food that goes bad because we ordered pizza on a Tuesday night and never got back on track.

I spent all day Sunday cleaning my office at home and digging out all the stacks of recipes to be filed. Now that I have them all uncovered I can organize them properly. I found a little tabbed folder I'm going to use for the week that has 7 slots to put all the needed recipes for the week so I have them all in one place, stuck to the fridge. I've also designed a lovely shopping list that has everything we buy every trip already printed on it so I won't forget staples like cottage cheese.

Now, to stop writing about it and doing something about it. Off to search some recipes!

4 comments:

  1. Ruts are so hard...but hang in there, you're gonna climb out! (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same thing. Spend a lot of money on healthy food that goes bad. I'm trying to change that now starting with the limp celery resting quiety in the bottom drawer of my fridge. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it!!!! You can get out of this rut! Maybe go to the library and pick up a "new" low-cal cookbook to browse through and get ideas. Sometimes seeing the pictures helps.

    Or do a web search for freezable meals. Even if you are not in the mood to cook, your microwave can defrost something in a jiffy. My freezer is stocked with individual meals (rice and beans, pasta and sauce, stews, etc) that are labled with the WW points. Makes deciding what to eat for lunch and dinner super easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. amen, sister.
    for me it is all about the planning and setting myself up for success or, even with mainly healthy stuff in the kitchen, I end up eating junk (and as you said too few fruits/veggies).

    love juice's idea about the cookbook, too.

    for me it is all about the list making and hitting COSTCO or the grocery.

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete