Monday, March 18, 2013

Monday mix tape

Weekend Wrap Up
-----------------------------------
This weekend was one of those "this is why I live in Atlanta" weekends. Spring is in full swing and it was close to 80 degrees!

Saturday I went to my extended Bikram yoga class. It's only 15 minutes longer than my normal one but that is a loooooonnnng 15 minutes. Towards the end of the floor series, I had one leg out to side and was draped over it with my hands clasped to the bottom of my foot in traditional Bikram style. My instructor (you all know how much I love her!) sat down next to me and said "how are you? is it so much easier now?" I showed her my interlaced fingers on the bottom of my foot and she knew as well as I did that was a first for me!!! It was so hot and I was reduced to a happy puddle on the floor by the end. The rest of day I was kind of in a haze and finally went to bed at 9:30. On a Saturday!

Sunday was St. Patricks day and the whole neighborhood was outside! My husband and I planned a 5 mile walk with stops at our 2 favorite pubs. It was a great day and a great workout. I managed half a beer and half a bloody mary over the course of about 4 hours. I haven't really found anything I like that "sits well" post surgery. I'm actually really glad about that - I don't miss it at all and I certainly don't need it so we will keep it to a minimum!

Which brings me to today. Monday. I knew it was going to be today so I stepped on the scale and got my wish. I hit the 40 pound mark. One day shy of my 8 week surgiversary.

Judging a book by it's cover
-----------------------------------
 I love how even at 43 years old I still learn lessons. Sure, I learn stuff about my job and about yoga and whatnot but life lessons are always a surprise at this age.

Last Saturday I was settling into "my spot" at yoga. It was getting more and more crowded and suddenly here comes little miss perfect body laying her mat out right in front of me. I got a little agitated but I did give her a point for staggering her mat so I could still see even though she was only an inch away. I don't do well with crowds and closeness especially when it's 105 degrees and you are sucking up my life-giving oxygen.

She turned around and asked me if this was a crowded class and I mentioned something about the January people starting to fade out and she said she was a January person but she was hooked. Then we just started talking. And I freaking loved her!

I saw her again this weekend and she took the same spot in front of me but this time I was glad to see her. Bikram really isn't the most chatty environment so we didn't talk long but again, loved her!

Tiffany, if you ever read this, thank you for being so cute and perfect bodied and for making me realize how ridiculous I am.

My trainer and I were talking about it and agreed my judgement of other people is probably a defense mechanism for my insecurities over people judging me for my weight. Especially as the (formerly) largest person at yoga. Most people I've talked to about it have said they too struggle with it. Glad to know I'm not alone but I can promise you I'm going to work on that - hard!!

10k ahead?
-----------------------------------
It's that time of year again. Time for the lottery of the worlds largest 10k. The Peachtree Road Race. The one that's up hill the whole way on the always blistering hot Atlanta 4th of July. I don't know what is wrong with me but I entered it again. By next Monday's mix tape, I will know if I'm one of the chosen 60,000. In a weird way I kinda hope so!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on hitting 40 pounds!!! So happy for you, Tina!!!

    I had a similar experience in yoga - I prejudges a young, thin, super-flexible woman who was next to me...turns out she was so nice and became a very good friend. Funny how we get up in arms if someone does that to our overweight selves, but we (the royal) do it to the skinny people, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so so proud of you! You inspired me to get out and keep moving! You're doing amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always had the same problem...initially disliking skinny, fit, cute people. It's something I've really had to work on, because, obviously, I don't want someone to look at my overweight self and judge me because of that.I like to blame my mother for my bad habit...she was the WORST at criticizing other people's bodies (especially mine). I am 42 now, it's time to own up to my judgements...I know better :)

    40 lbs. down is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for you!! 40 pounds is an amazing amount to lose!! I love all your dedication!! I have fall'in off the wagon but you have given me motivation to get back on track!

    ReplyDelete